About Summit Trucking
Summit Trucking is a family-owned and operated Transportation and Logistics company with a fleet of trucks across North America. Founded by an industry veteran in 1997, Summit’s prioritization of technology maximizes productivity while allowing them to remain a driver-focused employer.
Location: United States
Summit Trucking reduces the time and resources required to manage their fleet’s in-cab devices
Summit Trucking is a family-owned and operated Transportation and Logistics company with a fleet of trucks across North America. Summit’s prioritization of technology maximizes productivity while allowing them to remain a driver-focused employer. With Esper, they now have the technology they need to keep drivers safe and optimize operations.
Cut device enrollment time by 90%
Complete device lockdown
Eliminate device downtime
Summit Trucking needed a powerful in-cab solution for increased safety and accessibility
Drivers rely heavily on their in-cab tablets. From optimizing their route, logging miles and stops, to scanning and storing important documents, these devices are crucial to their performance. However, with long hours away from their loved ones, drivers can be tempted to install apps such as Netflix, Facebook, and video chat applications to feel connected. When drivers are distracted it’s a significant safety concern; shifting their attention from the task at hand can quickly result in tragedy. When that distraction originates from employer-provided equipment, it exposes transportation and logistics companies to massive unnecessary risk, public relations nightmares, and potential lawsuits.
In-cab Android tablets provide significant advantages over other operating systems due to ease of use and configuration, but off-the shelf tablets can allow drivers to access the entire Google Play Store. Summit wanted to ensure drivers could only access the apps they needed while preventing the devices from leading to dangerous distractions on the road. Summit looked to Esper for a full-stack solution that could:
- Transform consumer tablets into purpose-built devices.
- Lock down devices completely — only allowing access to Summit-approved apps.
- Provide visibility and control over the entire device management process including the ability to remotely repair a device.
With Esper, Summit Trucking’s in-cab devices can now be locked down to minimize the risk of driver distraction. Esper’s cutting edge technology also enabled Summit to streamline many of their operational processes, reducing the time and resources required to manage their in-cab device fleet. Specifically, Summit Trucking can now:
- Lock down devices to only driver-essential apps and prevent access to the Google Play Store so no additional downloads can be made — significantly reducing the risk for distraction.
- Add additional approved applications to all devices (Fuel management, loyalty programs, etc.) through the Esper online console with a single change to a universal profile.
- Reduce enrollment time. Previously, provisioning 150 devices took 3 weeks of manual configuration. With Esper, provisioning was reduced to just 2 days.
- Troubleshoot devices quickly and remotely to prevent shipping devices to HQ for repairs — eliminating the need for returning to paper log books, which can easily lead to compliance missteps.
- Update or reboot devices over-the-air in minutes from Esper’s online console, without any assistance necessary from the end-user in possession of the device.
- Access appropriate hardware quickly. Esper’s device partnerships allowed Summit to immediately replace their fleet of rugged in-cab devices and begin shipping tablets preloaded with Esper on an as-needed basis.