We close the circle on our OSOM double-header here on Android Bytes. In this episode, we chat with CEO Jason Keats and CPO Gary Anderson about how they'll update Android on their new phone, the Solana Saga, and dive deeper into the Solana part of the device. What's the Solana Mobile Stack, what are its benefits, and what can people do with it?
- 00:40 - Where do OEMs actually get Android and Linux from? What is a BSP?
- 03:10 - What is a Generic Kernel Image?
- 06:02 - What is Project Treble and Google Requirements Freeze? How do these initiatives affect Android updates?
- 10:10 - What are silicon vendors concerned about when it comes to updates? Is there a clash between their interests and an OEM's?
- 12:12 - How long will the Solana Saga be supported for?
- 13:44 - What is the Solana Mobile Stack? How will the SMS use the Saga's secure hardware?
- 22:08 - Should Google slow down the development of Android?
- 25:26 - Sharing some thoughts on Android 13
- 27:25 - What challenges did the Essential Phone's pogo pins present? Any other interesting stories?
About the Podcast
Android Bytes (powered by Esper)
A weekly show that dives deep into the Android OS
Android Bytes (powered by Esper) is the podcast that dives deep into the engineering and business decisions behind the world’s most popular OS.
Android powers over 3 billion devices worldwide and is the platform of choice for over a thousand companies. You’ll find Android on smartphones, tablets, watches, TV, cars, kiosks, and so much more. How does Google architect Android to run on so many form factors, and how do companies fork AOSP to make it run on even more devices? These are the kinds of questions the Android Bytes podcast considers each week.
Join cohosts Mishaal Rahman and David Ruddock, two journalists with extensive knowledge covering the Android OS platform and ecosystem, as they speak to system architects, kernel engineers, app developers, and other distinguished experts in the Android space.
Get in touch with us at Esper.io if you’re looking to use Android for your product — we have the experience you need.